Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Video on creating 'coins' with CNC machine

I stumbled across this 9 minute video which shows the process of creating a medallion with realistic bust using a CNC machine.

The medallion produced looks quite good! It looks better than most of the 'coins' featured in do-it-yourself coin making videos. Yet most of the steps made me cringe because I was certain he was doing it the wrong way.

Once he has a 3D model on the computer, he feeds a block of metal to a CNC machine rated only for wood. I was sure something would go wrong but he got it perfect.

To produce the round shape he just takes his metal block and starts hitting it with a belt sander! I was certain he was doomed but it looked very nice when complete.

To give the appearance of patina he uses spray paint. I was amazed that this worked at all! He got a nice effect in the end.

The final medallion suffered a bit of a 'staircase effect' on the face due to the limited depth control. I would have liked to see if he could have removed that with a bit of polishing. Even with the depth artifacts he managed to produce a pretty nice medallion using techniques I would not have expected to be effective.

1 comment:

Anuj Agarwal said...

Hi A Gift For Polydektes Team,

My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog A Gift For Polydektes has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 50 Coin Blogs on the web.

http://blog.feedspot.com/coin_blogs/

I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 50 Coin Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.


Best,
Anuj